Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Summer Update

It is now August and I apologize for not finishing my last trip report.  I did something really foolish after my last post - I woke up the next morning and decided to drive all the way home.  I drove too many hours, took too few breaks, thought the air was too thin and that explained why I couldn't breathe.  I did get home in time for my painting class that Wednesday, but by noon the next day I knew something was really wrong - I thought I was having an asthma attack, but learned later it was a lot more serious.  The swollen legs and breathing trouble were all signs I will recognize in the future as congestive heart failure.  My heart was in big trouble, surrounded by fluid that was putting pressure on my lungs - then it started marching to it's own beat, and it wasn't a regular beat.  Four days in the hospital later, I'm now taking a blood thinner and not doing heavy work - no more haying in the hot sun for me!! :)  I'm actually very pleased to have had this warning to be a little more respectful of my health.  I'm now eating better, drinking lots of water and less coffee, and I'm planning a more careful drive to Nova Scotia next week.

I'm planning to take three days driving to Nova Scotia instead of just two - I'll do some sight-seeing or take some photos or rest in some way at least every two hours.  So far, I haven't been able to do any plein aire painting, but it's on my list of things I want to learn, so maybe I'll just find a place to relax and paint whatever I see.

After I got home from the hospital in June, I lost my car keys and my rugs and hooking supplies were all in the car.  I finally found the keys a week ago.  I'm a full month behind on hooking Big Momma, so I'll try to get a lot done in Nova Scotia - and I'll try to do a daily blog report on that trip.  We're going to be doing some dyeing for Jo-Anne Harris' new shop in Toronto
, so I'll be sure and post a photo report on that project.  I'm also planning to spend a lot of time at the Hooked Rug Museum of North America, so I'll also post a museum photo report. 

No comments: